This oldest town in West Virginia is home to fine restaurants, fascinating shops, healthy foods, vivacious drinks, cool gardens, Shepherd University, artists of all types, places to see, outdoor recreation, and so much more. It is a welcoming town with a big city mentality. Standing on the street, or a front porch, you could easily hear someone pass while saying “I love this town.”
Arts, Sightseeing and Recreation
- Contemporary American Theater Festival Every July, the Contemporary American Theater Festival, founded in 1991 at Shepherd University, hosts several of the newest plays in America for one month. Like many Shepherdstown events, CATF brings thousands of visitors from near and far each year.
- Friends of Music Chamber Music Concerts in Shepherdstown
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Discover historical, natural & recreational treasures. Bike, kayak, and canoe rentals available at Shepherdstown Pedal & Paddle.
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park Historic community, at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. Stroll the picturesque streets, visit exhibits and museums, or hike trails and battlefields.
- Appalachian Trail The Appalachian Trail is more than a footpath, it’s the sweeping views, the plants, animals and communities.
- River & Trail Outfitters Winery & Brewery Paddling Tours
- River Riders River Riding and Zipline Adventures
- Antietam National Battlefield The Bloodiest Day in American History. 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat. It ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia’s first invasion into the North and led Abraham Lincoln to issue the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.
- Shepherdstown Ghost Tours
- Shepherdstown Mystery Walks
Inns and Hotels
The Bavarian Inn is a romantic country inn offering European elegance, world class service and fine dining from its scenic location perched on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River.
Restaurants and Bars
- The Press Room is an upscale restaurant serving New American fare with full bar.
- Bistro 112 serves French comfort fare with a full bar and has garden seating.
- The Bavarian Inn is fine dining with German/American fare and a full bar.
- Maria’s Taqueria serves Mexican food that locals love. Their fish tacos are delicious!
- Blue Moon Cafe serves salads, pizza & sandwiches with garden seating available.
- Kazu serves a Thai & Japanese menu, beer & wine in unassuming digs.
- Hecho En Mexico Restaurant has full bar and offers carry 0ut.
- Groovetown Lounge unique cuisine (i.e. quinoa, baba ganoush, smoothies) and art.
- Rumsey Tavern serves American cuisine with sandwiches, entrees and a full bar.
- The Meklenburg Inn serves a bar menu with full bar, their burgers are delicious! Don’t miss the garden in warm weather.
- Town Run Tap House and Community Pub serves a made from scratch menu and has a full bar.
- Sweet Shop serves breads, desserts, gourmet coffees, soups and sandwiches.
- Green Pineapple serves Bubble Tea, Snow Cream and Asian Fusion Fare.
- The Devonshire Arms Cafe & Pub is an authentic English Cafe & Pub.
- Domestic serves american fare with a creative twist and has a full bar.
- LellyBelle Café serves coffee, sweets, ice cream, smoothies, sandwiches and acai bowls.
- Betty’s serves country-style breakfast, burgers, crab cakes and more.
- Lost Dog Coffee serves coffees, teas and more.
- China Kitchen is a Chinese restaurant and offers carry out.
- Tommy’s Pizza serves pizzas, subs and offers carry out.
- A-Wok serves traditional Chinese food and offers carry out.
- King’s New York Pizza serves pizza as well as many additional menu items.
- Shepherdstown Visitor Center
- Historic Shepherdstown & Museum
- Shepherdstown Public Library
- Corporation of Shepherdstown
- Shepherdstown Farmers Market
- I Heart Shepherdstown, WV! – Events and Information
- Shepherdstown Community
- Rotary Club of Shepherdstown
Veterans and Hospice Care
- Shepherd University
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- Berkeley County Public Schools
- Washington County Public Schools
- Shepherdstown Day Care Center
- Morgan Academy Preschool, Grades K-8 & Summer Camp