This oldest town in West Virginia, on the Potomac River, is home to fine restaurants, fascinating shops, healthy foods, vivacious drinks, cool gardens, Shepherd University, artists of all types, places to see, outdoor recreation, and so much more. It is a welcoming town with a big city mentality. Standing on the street, or a front porch, you could easily hear someone pass while saying “I love this town.”
Arts, Sightseeing and Recreation
- Contemporary American Theater Festival Every July, the Contemporary American Theater Festival, founded in 1991 at Shepherd University, hosts several of the newest plays in America for one month. Like many Shepherdstown events, CATF brings thousands of visitors from near and far each year.
- American Conservation Film Festival Devoted to film arts with a commitment to conservation.
- Music Chamber Music Concerts in Shepherdstown
- Black Box Arts Center Provides a regular season of theatrical performances and a space for artists of all styles.
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Discover historical, natural & recreational treasures. Bike, kayak, and canoe rentals available at Shepherdstown Pedal & Paddle.
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park Historic community, at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. Stroll the picturesque streets, visit exhibits and museums, or hike trails and battlefields.
- Appalachian Trail The Appalachian Trail is more than a footpath, it’s the sweeping views, the plants, animals and communities.
- River & Trail Outfitters Winery & Brewery Paddling Tours
- River Riders River Riding and Zipline Adventures
- Hike Adventures, LLC Full service guiding company
- Antietam National Battlefield The Bloodiest Day in American History. 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat. It ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia’s first invasion into the North and led Abraham Lincoln to issue the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.
- Shepherdstown Ghost Tours
- Shepherdstown Mystery Walks
Inns and Hotels
- The Bavarian Inn is a romantic country inn offering European elegance, world class service and fine dining from its scenic location perched on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River.
- Thomas Shepherd Inn is in a converted 1864 parsonage. This old-world bed-and-breakfast is just steps from shops and restaurants.
- Clarion Hotel & Conference Center has meeting rooms, an outdoor pool and Rumsey Tavern restaurant.
- Quality Inn is a relaxed hotel featuring an exercise room and free hot breakfast.
Restaurants and Bars
- The Press Room is an upscale restaurant serving New American fare with full bar.
- The Bavarian Inn is fine dining, German/ American fare, outdoor patio, and a full bar.
- Maria’s Taqueria serves Mexican food that locals love. Their fish tacos are delicious!
- Blue Moon Cafe serves salads, pizza & sandwiches with garden seating available.
- Kome is a Thai & Sushi Bistro with full bar.
- Hecho En Mexico Restaurant has full bar and offers carry out.
- Rumsey Tavern serves American cuisine with sandwiches, entrees and a full bar.
- The Meklenburg Inn serves a bar menu with full bar & delicious burgers! Don’t miss the garden in warm weather.
- Sweet Shop serves breads, desserts, gourmet coffees, soups and sandwiches.
- Green Pineapple serves bubble tea, snow cream and asian fusion fare.
- The Devonshire Arms Cafe & Pub is an authentic English cafe & pub.
- Lilah serves wood-fired oven flatbread pizzas to seafood, pasta, char-broiled prime steaks, gluten-free and vegan options, with a full bar.
- LellyBelle Café serves coffee, sweets, ice cream, smoothies, sandwiches and acai bowls.
- Betty’s serves country-style breakfast, burgers, crab cakes and more.
- Lost Dog Coffee serves coffees, teas and more.
- China Kitchen is a Chinese restaurant and offers carry out.
- Tommy’s Pizza serves pizzas, subs and offers carry out.
- A-Wok serves traditional Chinese food and offers carry out.
- King’s New York Pizza serves pizza as well as many additional menu items.
- Shepherdstown Visitor Center
- Historic Shepherdstown & Museum
- Shepherdstown Public Library
- Corporation of Shepherdstown
- Shepherdstown Farmers Market
- I Heart Shepherdstown, WV! – Events and Information
- Shepherdstown Community
- Rotary Club of Shepherdstown
Veterans and Hospice Care
- Shepherd University
- Shepherd University Lifelong Learning Program
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- Berkeley County Public Schools
- Washington County Public Schools
- Shepherdstown Day Care Center
- Morgan Academy Preschool, Grades K-10 & Summer Camp
- SOLD! Stately 6 BR Strider House, ideal for entertaining with gorgeous woodwork & 2-car garage. 1 block to Historic Shepherdstown dining & shops
- SOLD! 0 Days on the Market! Lovely riverfront house with year-round river views and detached, 2-story, 2-car garage on over 2 gorgeous acres.
- SOLD! Lovingly restored Historic Wright Cottage, built by an associate of Abraham Lincoln in 1872. 1,200 Sq. Ft., 3-sided, covered Victorian-era verandah with gorgeous views.
- SOLD! Riverfront home with year-round river views in a deep water, Potomac River community with equestrian center, bridle trail and boat launch.
- SOLD! Contemporary, Neo-Tudor style home, which is dazzling with vaulted & cathedral ceilings, open floor plan, plus 34 energy saving solar panels. Cress Creek has a golf course, club house, and more.
- SOLD! Modern & open home convenient to Historic Shepherdstown,
w/great dining, cool shops & university. Year-round river views & 50’ riverfront. Swim, canoe, kayak, or go tubing.
- SOLD! One of the finest year-round riverfront views on this stretch of
the Potomac. Absolutely dramatic & stunning home with vaulted ceiling, loft & custom Master Suite, plus community river access. Here’s a photograph: